Do I need a party wall agreement?


The Party Wall Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

A building owner proposing to start work covered by the Act must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions in the way set down in the Act. Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed. Where they disagree, the Act provides a mechanism for resolving disputes. The Act is separate from obtaining planning permission or building regulations approval.

What is a party wall?

The main types of party walls are:

What the Act covers

1. new building on or at the boundary of 2 properties
2. work to an existing party wall or party structure
3. excavation near to and below the foundation level of neighbouring buildings
4. This may include:
5. building a new wall on or at the boundary of 2 properties
6. cutting into a party wall
7. making a party wall taller, shorter or deeperbr> 8. removing chimney breasts from a party wall
9. knocking down and rebuilding a party wall
10. digging below the foundation level of a neighbour's property


Smiley building services are able to offer you advice on the most straightforward way to obtain a party wall agreement. If you need help liaising with your neighbours our party wall surveyors will be able to negotiate on your behalf and usually obtain the party wall agreement within two weeks or less.

Please find useful information, party wall letters and documents in the links below